Caleta de Fuste

Caleta in Fuerteventura is the place to be!

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > Caleta Storm damage.

James and Sam

How has the recent storm effected Caleta?

We’ve seen some dramatic footage of the waves crashing onto the beach and rocks on the pavements. 

We are on holiday February 17th 2018 for on week. 

Hopefully Caleta shall be tidied up by then?

January 28, 2018 at 10:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Caletafuerteventura
Site Owner

The high wind and tide has done damage along the sea front, particularly between the marina and the San Jorge Hotel, as you have seen on Facebook etc.  It happens occasionallly, and the local council will clear it up as soon as possible.

The whole of the Canary Islands were affected.  The bad news is that another sorm, this time with rain, is forecast to hit the Canary Islands tomorrow.

January 28, 2018 at 1:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

James and Sam

Thank you for the reply. :)

January 28, 2018 at 4:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Welsh Caz

oh dear hope the damage is not to bad I was walking that way this time last week. I was talking to a few locals my Spanish is improving but I didn't understand all the conversation is it correct the Russian have purchased the San Jorge Hotel and turning it into a luxurious hotel. I did think did they mean it would be for Russian holiday makers

January 29, 2018 at 7:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Welsh Caz

Caletafuerteventura at January 28, 2018 at 1:57 PM

The high wind and tide has done damage along the sea front, particularly between the marina and the San Jorge Hotel, as you have seen on Facebook etc.  It happens occasionallly, and the local council will clear it up as soon as possible.

The whole of the Canary Islands were affected.  The bad news is that another sorm, this time with rain, is forecast to hit the Canary Islands tomorrow.

wow Just had a look at the videos and pictures what a difference a week makes 

January 29, 2018 at 7:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Villan

Welsh Caz at January 29, 2018 at 7:36 AM

oh dear hope the damage is not to bad I was walking that way this time last week. I was talking to a few locals my Spanish is improving but I didn't understand all the conversation is it correct the Russian have purchased the San Jorge Hotel and turning it into a luxurious hotel. I did think did they mean it would be for Russian holiday makers

Not aware of any Russian link. Still owned by The Elba Group as far as I'm aware. I understand from reading Fuerteventuras long term business plan a few years ago there a "policy" to eliminate all 3* hotels on the island with 4* being the minimum. Bearing this in mind I presume the aim is for the San Jorge to go from its current 3* rating to 4* ?
January 29, 2018 at 11:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Caletafuerteventura
Site Owner

The President of the Cabildo (island council), the Mayor of Antigua, the Tourism Councillor - Debbie Edgington, and the Head of Works were all inspecting the damage this morning.

See article - http://www.rtvaguacabra.com/noticias/el_cabildo_colaborar_con_el_ayuntamiento_de_antigua_en_la_reposici_n_de_da_os_en_el_paseo_mar_timo_por_el_temporal_de_mar.html

January 29, 2018 at 5:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

James and Sam

Thank you for the update. 

January 30, 2018 at 6:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Caletafuerteventura
Site Owner

The seafront was cleaned up yesterday - https://www.ondafuerteventura.es/denuncias-vecinales-agilizan-la-reparacion-la-avenida-castillo/

February 3, 2018 at 3:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Welsh Caz

great news. That didn't take long at all. Wish Wales was that fast 

February 5, 2018 at 10:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.