Caleta de Fuste

Caleta in Fuerteventura is the place to be!

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Citizen's Participation Meeting - in English - Thurs 27 July 2017

Caletafuerteventura
Site Owner

Ayuntamiento de Antigua Councillor, Debbie Edgington, will be holding the next Citizen's Participation Meeting in the Caleta de Fuste Cultural Centre on Thursday 27 July 2017 at 6pm, and it will be conducted in English.

I should be able to go to this meeting, as I won't be working that evening.

June 18, 2017 at 1:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Windermeregolfer
Thanks Steve, look forward to your feed back, we can't attend we are back in the UK after our July 13th to 20th trip.
June 19, 2017 at 11:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jill

We plan to go too, look out for us and please say hello :D    

June 22, 2017 at 3:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Deso

Good to see we will have 2 roving reporters attending this time. :)

It may well crop up at the meeting but I am interested what the current position is regarding the electric scooters?

I say this because when we were over in March, we were walking up the ramp, across the road from the Chemist, when what looked like a hotel rep came up behind us on a scooter with around 10 other people following.

The girl had a yellow polo shirt on with a lot of logos and writing on so I couldn't work out where they were from.

I pointed out the fact that they were not supposed to be using the scooters on the pavements and she replied that it was no problem and that the central pavement down towards the Happy Centre had been made for just such a purpose. :roll:

They then set off on their merry way.

--

Looking forward to booking one way flight to Fuerte :)

June 22, 2017 at 12:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Caletafuerteventura
Site Owner

Deso, it is a question I am going to ask.  There are now big, wide wheeled scooters about that go twice as fast.  6 of them sped by me on the pavement between the tunnel and the Windmill at silly speeds.

Last week on the seafont there was an accident between 2 scooters.  A child stpped and his mother crashed into him and they both fell to the ground.  The mother called him a lot of 4 letter words, so I wasn't going to tell them where they should be riding!  The boy's helmet was tied to his handlebars.

I'll look out for you Jill.

June 22, 2017 at 1:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Deso

Thanks Steve.

" The mother called him a lot of 4 letter words "   Makes you proud to be British   :/ 

--

June 22, 2017 at 3:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Caletafuerteventura
Site Owner

Just a reminder about the meeting.

July 24, 2017 at 3:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Caletafuerteventura
Site Owner

Notes from the Citizen's Meeting on 27 July 2017

It was a well-attended meeting conducted by Debbie Edgington - the Tourism Councillor for Ayuntamiento de Antigua.

Agenda

1. The British Consulate will be visiting Fuerteventura to discuss Brexit and it's implications. The provisional date is Tuesday 17 October. Debbie will be organising a hotel location for the meeting.

2. There has been a 2/3 month delay in the finalising of details for the improvement works to be carried out in Triquivijate, Costa de Antigua and uphill in Caleta. Work is continuing on the harbour road and it's resurfacing, new pavements and creation of parking spaces. Debbie expressed concern about the limited space available to open car doors in the parking spaces, because of the garden areas that are so close. She has been told that the next phase will be to do away with the gardens. She's also worried about disabled access along the road.

3. The beach works have still not been signed off by the Mayor of Antigua and the Cabildo. Meetings have and will be held to resolve the situation, as the beach surface is considered unsatisfactory.

4. The scooter problem is still ongoing. There is a new byelaw which says that they should only use cyclpaths but it is not effective and is not being policed. Full council backing is required to get stricter laws, but not all Depts agree. The answer may be to suspend all scooter activity until new laws are passed. The only place in Spain to have strict laws is Barcelona.

5. The Beach party is on for two nights - Friday 28th and Saturday 29th July. The first night will finish at 3am, and the second night at 4am.

Questions and Queries

1. Concern was expressed about rubbish bins blowing over up the mountain.

2. Concern w. A complaint about the state of pavements up the hill. This work is in the next stage of street works which have been delayed. All roads are going to be cleared of gardens, like Calle Pitera, Calle Savilla etc, between the El Castillo Center and the Geranios Hotel.

5. A resident was concerned about cars parking on the bend at the top of the hill at Atalaya Park.

6. A resident complained that there is no road sign for Calle Pablo Picasso (the road that goes up the hill).

10. The issue of dog excrement in streets was mentioned. Owners have a responsibility to clear up after their pet.

11. A question about the derelict building at thas expressed about the bad condition of some refuse bins.

3. Residents of Marina Golf are concerned about traffic speeding between Marina Golf (up the hill) and the Perro Loco Bar. There was another accident there on Wednesday this week. Speed bumps have been promised but they haven't been put into place yet.

4e top of the mountain (Sunrise Palace) was asked. No-one knows what it's future is at the moment.

12. The new building going up next to the Dulce de Leche is going to be a small shopping centre.

Not long after the start of the meeting, Dbbie was interrupted by a Spanish couple who asked what was going on. She explained in Spanish that she was a Councillor from the Ayuntamiento who was conducting a meeting in English to English speaking residents. Debbie came back to the meeting and was shocked by what the woman had said. She asked Debbie to ask the British residents to clean up after themelves and pick up their rubbish!! Unbelievable!

July 28, 2017 at 6:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jill

Nice to meet you at long last Steve!

July 28, 2017 at 12:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Windermeregolfer
Thanks for the update Steve, appreciate the update. When last there a fortnight ago the scooter issue was clearly increasing, the companies hiring them out need to be the ones fined or charged a higher licence fee if they have one to ensure their customers stick to the rules. In my dreams I suppose 🤣🤣🤣
July 28, 2017 at 3:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Can the Man

Thanks for the comprehensive report Steve.

--

July 30, 2017 at 3:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Martin Holt
Many thanks for such a comprehensive report.
July 30, 2017 at 6:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jo

Thank you!

July 30, 2017 at 7:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Deso

Thanks for the updates Steve.  Looks like it's back to the stiff elbow then. :D

--

July 31, 2017 at 12:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Caletafuerteventura
Site Owner

There was an interesting post on a Facebook page over the weekend:

A woman was complaining that she had to take her son to see a private doctor in Caleta because he had an accident on a motorised scooter, and she was probably going to have to pay more for an x ray.  She said that her son was underage for scooter hire and so wouln't be covered by insurance!  You can imagine what kind of replies she got!  

July 31, 2017 at 4:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.